This Is Why Everyone Loves the HappyLight
Sunlight is an essential ingredient for a healthy lifestyle, but many of us don't get the amount of bright light we need to experience its benefits. A HappyLight brings daylight indoors by emitting a bright white, full spectrum light that safely mimics sunlight (and without the UV-rays).
Reasons to use a HappyLight
There are many important reasons to use a HappyLight, and these are three of the most common reasons:
- Light deprivation - Many people experience a change in mood or energy levels when they find themselves deprived of natural daylight. This can be due to the change in seasons or when they find themselves deprived of natural daylight due to night shift work, airplane travel, or a lifestyle that includes a lot of time indoors (like so many of us these days).
- Circadian rhythm disruption - Our bodies strive to maintain regular sleep patterns through the timed release of hormones regulated by our internal clock, otherwise known as circadian rhythms. This internal cycle takes cues from external light sources (specifically, dawn and dusk) to signal the body that it’s time to wake up or go to sleep. Ordinary indoor lighting, late-night studying and the glow of computer screens and televisions can disrupt these natural cues and make it difficult to get a healthy night’s sleep. Studies show that light therapy can help the body recalibrate and normalize circadian rhythms and help you get a great night's sleep.
- Winter Blues - The "Winter Blues" is a reaction to the reduced amount of natural daylight available during the winter months. People who suffer from it experience normal health for most of the year but battle fatigue and low energy symptoms when daylight diminishes. Symptoms of the “Winter Blues” include sluggishness, sleep problems, change in diet, and even loss of mental acuity.
How does the HappyLight work?
Scientific studies have shown the effects of light on the body are more than just psychological. Sunlight prompts our physical systems to produce the hormones directly responsible for improving mood and creating a sense of well-being.
A HappyLight provides supplemental full spectrum light that prompts your body’s natural energy enhancers to help you relax, focus and feel revitalized. It improves mood and energy by triggering the release of serotonin and improves sleep and focus by resetting your circadian rhythm to its natural state and regulating melatonin.
Setting up your HappyLight
Your HappyLight can be positioned as close as 6 inches from you, but greater distances may be more comfortable and still be effective. Don’t be afraid to experiment to find the right distance for you.
Additionally, place your HappyLight off to one side so you are not looking directly into it. Do not stare directly at the light, but the light must reach your eyes.
Getting the most out of your HappyLight
There are many ways to customize your HappyLight routine so it works optimally for you. Here are some strategies for optimizing your experience.
- Time - We recommend you use the light regularly and at about the same time each day in the morning. Twenty minutes a day can be a helpful starting point to determine your optimum light therapy duration time. You can divide your session into several mini sessions if that works better for you.
- Routine - The best way to use your HappyLight is by incorporating it into part of your morning routine. Use it as you put on your make up, eat breakfast, or when you first get to work.
- Distance - It is important to establish a distance and schedule that is comfortable for you. You can experiment with different distances to customize the brightness level. If it feels too bright, position it farther from you. If the brightness level is comfortable and you want to increase the light therapy effects, sit closer to the lamp. Many of light therapy lamps like the HappyLight are also equipped with additional lenses or intensity settings to further customize the brightness level to your specific needs.
- Effect - Pay attention to how you are feeling before and after your HappyLight sessions. When you are feeling sluggish and lethargic, spend more time with the light, sit closer to the light, and/or increase the intensity. If you experience edginess, or are over stimulated, move the light further away and/or reduce your usage time.
At Verilux, we know how important it is to find health and wellness routines that work for you, and that is why we offer a 30-day, risk-free, no-questions-asked guarantee and have a U.S. based customer service team to answer any additional questions you have. This way you can try out the HappyLight, and see why it's a big deal for yourself. So turn it on, and get happy!
Also in Light Reading
I didn’t realize my mood was effected as the days got darker - it was my husband Scott who mentioned Winter Blues to me. At first, I was insulted that he thought I was that bad and then denial totally kicked in, thinking you’re insane that’s not me. I didn’t realize how much my mood would shift and the miserable mama I would be. Once he mentioned it to me, I started paying closer attention and doing some research and I realized he was right.